People should consider keeping something as a trade secret if:
- It is not appropriate for intellectual property (IP) protection
- They want to keep it secret or
- They want protection to extend beyond the term of a patent
- If it would be difficult to copy the process, construction or formulation from the product itself, a trade secret may give the protection people need.
- However, a trade secret does not stop anyone from inventing the same process or product independently, and can be difficult to keep.